Friday, April 3, 2009

The Need For A Powerful Voice

I've recently broken my "fast" from the news and have begun to try to catch back up on what is going on in the world. I see that the stock market is at a two-month high. I am so very glad, especially for all of those who are facing retirement. I do see that the unemployment rate jumped up to 8.5% for the month of March. Of course there are only about 5% of the people who are unemployed who actually want jobs. And as near as I can tell, the housing market is up or down, depending on the community in which you live. So all is not necessarily doom and gloom.

The Blues beat the Red Wings last night to reclaim the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. And the Blues are starting to get some ink now-a-days. It's been some time since people noticed the Blues, so it's nice to see some props heading there way.

I understand that the big news yesterday was Michelle Obama "handling" the Queen of England...must have been a slow news day. I was expecting knuckle bumps or a bear hug or something, until I saw the footage. The I thought, "big, fat, hairy whoop." I understand that there is a certain protocol one should follow when meeting the Queen, but I really fail to see the big deal. And maybe, just maybe, the over-taxed people of England are losing their zeal for paying for a lifestyle of a figurehead monarch. And I realize that I do not fully understand the royalty stuff and that I may have just upset a lot of English people with my ignorance, but I do not fully understand the royalty stuff. I'm from South East Missouri and the only royalty we have are the winners of the Cotton Carnival Contest and the king of the wild game cook-off. So I don't fully understand.

I am glad that Michell Obama didn't cause an international incident over something that trivial. And I also think that the matter was that trivial. So I have already had enough about how Michelle has broken barriers and how she has touched the heart of England and all of that bull. It just wasn't that big of a deal. But she will only get a positive spin from the news people. Maybe the Queen was afraid of being called a racist like everyone else who doesn't agree with the Obamas has been called. Maybe she felt bullied by Chicago style politics. I don't know and don't really think it much matters, personally.

And another thing on Michelle Obama, Why is most of the media now saying that she has emerged as a powerful voice? If I have read once where Michelle Obama is gaining all of this power and prestige, I have read it a million times lately. All I've seen her do is go on Oprah and the talk show circuit. Does that give one power? I've seen her talk to many school children. Does that give her this awesome voice? If so, then look out kids in the YMCA daycare today! When I get there, I'm forgoing my workout and I'm gonna give a speech that many a three year old will not forget. I'm gonna get me some of this power, voice stuff. It looks like it's awfully easy to do.

And how about the gift exchange in England again!??! To cover up the fact that Obama gave a crappy gift of the DVDs we gave Gordon Brown, we had to stay true to the girth of our gift giving and give the Brits an IPOd this time. Wow! Is this what a powerful voice full of change gets us? The audacity of poor gift giving? I mean, wow! an I-Pod. My buddy just Ebayed one for twenty bucks. I know times are tough, but dang!...and did they at least download some songs first? And what was on it? "I'm the Man", by Anthrax? "Back in the U.S.S.R." by Paul or Elton? "Cult of Personality" Living Color? "Symphony of Destruction" Megadeth? "She Blinded Me With Science" Thomas Dolby? I shutter to think of the Obamas play list...

And how about what Timothy Geitner said at the...sorry, I can't do it. I start giggling when I think of Geitner...sorry....

I have seen that there are some key words coming back into play in the news. Like Diversity: meaning to become like I am, not like you are. Freedoms: meaning to have the ability to force your views on your neighbor; and only the most aggressive opinions count in the end. And Education: a word that is placed on any bill or legislature regardless of content, in hopes of manipulating people to accept said bill or legislature. Example,"You aren't against this trillion dollar spending on a bogus program of monumental expinditures are you? It will help education. You don't hate children do you? You don't want all of the children to die, do you?"... I am not sure if I really don't get it anymore, or if I do get it and can't believe what it is that I am getting.

It also looks like President Obama isn't having the success at the big economic summit meeting that he had hoped he would. I guess all those polls showing his favorability in foreign countries isn't as precise as one had been lead to believe. Or maybe foreign people realize that you can like someone, but still not drink their Kool-Aid. Maybe politics is more than a popularity contest after all, at least somewhere in the world. And maybe the president should have polled drinkability instead of favorability. Or likeability. Or responsibility. or...I'm out of ilities...

And I am out of rants for today. I guess running out of cliches and thinking of the Obamas I-Pod play list has chased of my muse. Not to mention I need to call the YMCA and see if their teleprompter is in working order; I have a big speech to give to the nursery!

God Bless and Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

Andrew W. said...

I unfortunately couldn't watch the game, but I was pumped to go back and see that we did find some way to beat them, even if it took one of our guys scoring four goals. I just hope that we don't run into the Red Wings in the first round or I think we're toast.

RMason said...

It was a nerve racking game, Andrew. But a win is a win. And i have Backes in fantsy hockey, so it was a great game for me.

I would rather play detroit than san jose. Detroit is on the way down! But youre right, they have our number this year.