Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"Do I really sound like THAT?"

“I said to get back in the playroom...”, the words forcefully spoken by my wonderful 5-year-old to his little sister. The instant the words and tone processed through my mind, I winced. I did not have to ask from whom he had heard those words spoken in such a tone. I found myself questioning, “Is that really the way I sound when I am trying to get my point across and get my children's attention?” My thoughts drifted to other moments when “joy” was not the predominant expression that I exuded toward my children. How harsh our words can sometimes seem when we allow the frustrations of life to culminate and those around us suddenly become the mediums to which we vent.

And in my moment of reflection, the loving, gentle Spirit of the Lord reminded me of my own relationship with Lord. Do I NEED correction in a firm manner at times, and does the Lord accomplish that in my life out of His love for me? Absolutely...but I know that He does not allow the frustrations of a sin-filled world to affect His discipline/correction to me. Therefore, why would I allow external circumstances to influence how I discipline/correct my own children...whom I love more than my own life?

I so desire for my children to see a joy-filled parent who disciplines out of love, not frustration...who does not allow the principalities of this world to interfere with my interaction with them...who displays all of the amazing qualities of our own loving God. My heart aches to think that in my own actions, I may have presented something other than the reality of who HE really is.

And stepping beyond the lives of my children, are there others to whom I have falsely displayed Christ? Have I accepted the excuses of life being a rat race and circumstances occurring that were beyond my control for my failure to always MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD? When I consider the cost...when I recognize a glimpse of His sacrifice...when I take a moment to ponder the love it took, how overwhelmed I feel. Jesus made no excuses when His life was at stake. Jesus, fully man, said “NO” to the temptations of life. Jesus died and ascended to heaven so that we could be filled with the same power He had. Jesus tapped into that power and “made HIM look good” in every area...every relationship...every circumstance. Do I? Do you?

It is a stunning thought to consider how many lives could be touched, changed, and encouraged if we were to exhibit the characteristics of Christ in our lives. Think of the people struggling to find purpose...those struggling to find worth...those struggling to understand adversity, temptation, and failure...those who feel defeated...those who feel unwanted or unloved...THINK of how their lives could be shaped by the amazing attributes of God through us.

No longer do I want to allow the excuses or distractions to which I have succumbed to prevent me from loving, accepting, and meeting the needs of people...from discipling my children for the sake of their restoration, not out of my frustrations...from displaying the characteristics of HIM so that I ALWAYS “make HIM look good”.

No comments: