Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My Resolution

Man! Is it just me or is it very difficult getting into any resemblance of routine these days? I realize that I am not nor desire to be the most structured person, but this "Holiday Season" has been hectic. I have enjoyed myself, spent time with family, eaten some good food, and delighted at my children's responses to the toys, games, and etc; so it hasn't been a bad stress, but none the less stress. But I guess that is part of the American Way, killing ourselves in our pursuit of leisure.

And speaking of structure, I thought of doing some "Ten Best" lists for the past year or some kind of prophetic and wise words to help usher in the upcoming year, but I will leave those for the better structured and more sagacious. I like to read lists that other people compile, but I am not structured that way in my own mind so my attempt to collate any lists would be sophomoric and dull. So here are some random muses that have much bearing on the upcoming year, but not very cleverly organized:

I don't do New Years Resolutions, but i did read an article the other day that said it could increase one's likability. I thought it may be a good thing to become more likable in the future. But I was instantly confused with the Bud Light "drinkability" commercials. And I thought it just meant to posses the ability to be liked. I had no idea that the concept of "likability" dealt with the asinine and the futile. The article had suggestions that dealt with puppies and rainbows and forced smiles and other things of that ilk. And while I am not an ogre, I do feel misunderstood sometimes and just wanted to enhance my likability; not increase the phony. So I decided that the article had little help to offer me and that I would just keep winging it, so to speak, and that it would just be a crap shoot as to who would like me. And so much for another attempt at any type of resolution.

One thing i do not look forward to this upcoming year is the Brett Favre saga. For the love of Pete, whoever Pete is! This man is more fickle than any teenage girl. He has talked of retirement more years than he has played at this point, and has actually retired more times than Rocky. Be a man already, Brett! Poop or get off of the pot! It is probably time for the all time interception passer to hang it up. But that's just my opinion...I do worry what ESPN will fill in the 23 hours a day of Favre coverage with; and with economy, I guess it does provide jobs for people to follow Brett around with their heads up his butt. And right now, a job is a job. And it is better than working for the New york times, as well as more respectable.

And on the issue of respectable and economic, I see that GMAC will receive $5billion in government aid and that this will severely limit General Motors' control over GMAC. In return for the aid, GMAC will begin lending to those with a credit score as low as 621 verses the 700 credit rating that was required to purchase a vehicle two months ago. Is this reminiscent of Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton in dealing with the housing market? This same principal that is being used by GMAC to finance cars is what has lead to much of our economic woe. But at least we have our good ole, reliable government here to help us out. And the government will receive preferred shares in GMAC that pays 8% dividends plus warrants to purchase additional shares in return for the money "loaned". Welcome to the nationalization of General Motors! This cannot be a good thing, again in my opinion. Government interference has lead to the problems with our economy and will not help us any in the future. Our current government does not represent the people any more and will not be the saviour of the current economic mess. Our economy should be 'survival of the fittest'. American ingenuity and creativity is what helped make us and our economy strong and the American will be restored to greatness when character is injected back into the mix; not government re- taped, bureaucratic nonsense. Look at what the excess of governmental social programs have reduced many individuals to. The same will happen economically. If we continue on our current pace, there will be no initiative, creativity, genius, et cetera in people's lives socially or economically. There will be no need for it, the state will provide all that we require but nothing of what we need. I could easily get on a soapbox and preach here, but I will spare you that spectacle.

I also read that while retail spending was down close to 60% this holiday season, that Amazon Online reported that they had the best holiday sales ever. Maybe this upcoming year, the retailers will have to rethink their old way of business and restructure to meet the consumer's desires. Kind of like Amazon Retail has. Or we could also bail out the retail sector. Just like the financial, auto, credit, commercial real estate, companies that employ 75% of the American-Samoan population, and the makers of wooden arrows. Tell the retailers to just get in line. No need in hiring bright minds to restructure or market the products. No need in relying on the strengths of our people. No need in improving products. No need in developing plans or utilizing strengths. Just fall back into the gray mass and mire of it all; get in line for a handout...but nothing comes without a price. Eventually, we will realize the freedoms we are surrendering by taking a government check. And enough of that issue for today also...

I also wonder if Caroline Kennedy will face the same scrutiny form most of the MSM that Sarah Palin did. I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but Caroline isn't exactly in danger of discovering the Higgs Boson. She isn't exactly in danger of discovering much of anything, except that her family name is a two-edged sword.

I also wonder if it will be taboo to be a Cristian this year. You can read where anything that remotely deals with Islam is pulled from the shelves, production of is axed, and mouths are hushed; yet anyone can say anything derogatory about Jesus and is chic. I think what is good for the goose is certainly good for the gander. Free speech means just that, in either camp. I am not threatened by things anti-Christian and I see no need for anti-Christians to be threatened by me, or any other reasonable opinion. The same goes for the homosexual agenda, which I wonder if will succeed in swaying Obama to pull the plug on the Rick Warren invocation thing. It will be interesting to see how that plays out this upcoming year, how something so simple can create such a fuss.

I think the best thing we can do for the upcoming year is remember that God loves all of us, Jesus died for all of us, and the Holy Spirit will counsel all of us. We need to learn why we believe what we believe, and be strong enough in our beliefs that other opinions do not scare nor threaten us. We need to all learn to get along and work together regardless of politics and religion. We would all be the better if we treated the trivial things as trivial and not make the momentous too monumental.

We do do well to remember that we are not entitled. We are not victims. We should not be litigious minded; solve things person to person and leave the courts out of our everyday lives. We should remember that nothing is free or easy. We should focus more on our relationships than our materials. We should remember that there are people fighting for our freedoms while we sit home and surf the Internet. We should slow down to smell the roses. We shouldn't kill ourselves trying to relax.

And there are probably many other things and issues that weren't addressed here today. And I encourage you to do something about those issues this upcoming year. I urge you to find your passions and be true to them; and let's all make a difference to those around us this year, instead of just going through the motions of another year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron,
Once again you impress me with your candor and grasp of the meat of issues. The current situation is the end result of everyone wanting handouts and assistance. Whatever happened to self reliance and initiative. I have a feeling that President-elect Obama is not quite the raving liberal that people make him out ot be and time will tell how he will govern.
Once again I applaud you on a well written commentary.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, George. I do my best...

Anonymous said...

I know you werent "fishing" for compliments but I think you're very likeable just the way you are!!!