Wednesday, June 24, 2009

For Lack of a Spiffy Title...

Well, it's Humpday...

...and I've finally made back some of my pretend losses from the fantasy stock market game that I play. And yes, I'm that competitive...and I am glad that I have made back some of my pretend losses, because I was about to have to get a pretend loan to float myself along; kind of like the government, but they don't play...

Yesterday, Steve Yzerman and Brett Hull were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, along with Luc Robataille and Brian Leetch. Yzerman and Hull were two of my favorite players, ever. Especially Hull. So many memories come to mind when I think of Brett Hull and that shot of his. I not only remember Hull and that era in St. Louis Blues hockey, but the era in my life; when everyone was still alive and healthy. I remember having hockey parties at my grandparents house and how no one could hear the games due to my uncle Kenny and I yelling, coaching, refereeing, and doing the general manager duties, all while stuffing our faces with huge deli sandwiches. Those were the good old days, and not just in sports...Brett Hull was the best player on the best team and that team was my St. Louis Blues! It just doesn't happen much for us Blues fans. Congratulations, Brett Hull and thanks for the memories...

...but I realize that many of you aren't hockey fans. So my two-cents on baseball. It really is an all American pastime. And it seems to run parallel to our culture. We lose focus on the good of the game by all of the scandals, negotiations, pop-culture coverage by ESPN and SI. When someone does well, we wonder if it was legally. There is little loyalty, money speaks loudest. Tradition is nice if it doesn't interfere with notoriety and fame. But every now and again we smell the grass and beer and brats while we see someone achieve true greatness as they display integrity and leadership. And those moments, like in our real lives, are what keep us going; those moments remind us of why we are great and what it takes to be great...

How about another stellar speech by our president? I sure hope that Iran isn't concerned that he used such harsh rhetoric. Unfortunately, rhetoric doesn't do much except tickle ears. but to be fair, our president has some big issues on our plate. North Korea and Iran will have to be dealt with. And alienating Israel will not help. We really do need to pray for guidance and strength for Obama, and pray that he doesn't wait too long and do too little. I realize that he hates foreign affairs and that may distract from his domestic policy and campaigning, but we cant talk these issues away. Polls will do us no good and campaigning for the next term will not keep us safe nor help the peoples of the world. We really do need to be praying, not for the president to behave the way we wish individually, but that he will make wise decisions for all of us.

And that is it for today. I've got things to do and I'm not getting them done by using a lot of words and ideas. I have to practice what I preach and get into action mode.

Have a great day!

No comments: