Monday, June 29, 2009

The Edge of the Set

Well, it's Monday again...

In the world of politics, the new energy/green/snake oil bill has passed the House of Representatives and is heading to the Senate. I have to say that I am very disappointed by the passage of this bill, but am surprised that the vote was as close as it was. I watched a lot of the debate, or it was on as I did other things, and I am surprised that anyone with a mind at all could vote for this bill. This piece of, well let's just call it legislation, should be watched by all of us. This bill further sets us on a bad pathway. Not only is it a lousy bill in regards of what it accomplishes, or does not accomplish, but it can set a precedent as to government intervention in our lives, the direction of our economy, and the means by which we do business. Not to mention that it is just a bad bill! This is no time for partisan politics and party lines. The American people deserve more, and it is that important.

While on the subject of politics, do we need to know the details of Mark Sanford's Emails to his mistress? I for one, do not. Do we need to know if he abused the power of his office? The people of South Carolina certainly do. Do I think he should step down as governor? Well, if he misused his office, Yep! He does. Could I vote for him as governor of my state? Nope. He not only couldn't keep a commitment to his wife, but he lied time and again in the process. We all make mistakes, and his affair is between him and his family. But once, maybe twice, is a mistake. More than that is a character flaw. I do, personally, hope there is reconciliation, as I do in all marital problems. But I don't think he is trustworthy at this point. And that has nothing to do with his Emails or details of his sex life. And yes, I felt the same way about the Clinton sex scandal, or all three of them I should say. Mistakes can sometime be learning processes and strength builders, but sometimes just reveal a lack of character, as in Sanford's case. And really, this matters little to me in Missouri, but is a much larger issue for a South Carolinian.

While not a politician or a rock star, Billy Mays made quite a name for himself as a pitchman for household products. And while I have nothing against the man and have no knowledge of his character, he really got on my last nerve. And I say this with no remorse. And how can I say this with no guilt? Because I harbor no ill feelings towards Billy Mays, and I never did. He just got on my nerves with his commercials. I am saddened for his family because he has passed, and I do hope and pray that they can deal with their grief and that God will provide comfort. But none of that changes the fact that his commercials annoyed me. I have read and heard so many comments about "not liking him but didn't want him to die". That really should go without saying. Only a truly petty person can have much animosity towards someone over a commercial for Orange Glow. And some one's death doesn't change how they behaved while they were alive. It seems disrespectful to lump everyone in to the category of "saint and martyr" just because they die. One of my best friends died when we were younger, and he was a mommas boy. He also liked to try to boss me around at times. When he died, I was devastated. I loved him dearly! But he was still a mommas boy and a bossy fella. It didn't change how I felt nor did the truth become altered due to his death. I guess this kinda stuff has been on my mind since all of the celebrity deaths; and it is easier to deal with Billy Mays than Michael Jackson.

But it doesn't stop me from having some thoughts on MJ. I have seen people post horrible stuff about him on Facebook, and have heard people say horrible things about MJ in the wake of his death. I have also heard and seen people defend him based on his talent or his skin color. I think all of this, and the Billy Mays stuff as well, shows the complexity of being human and the difficulty humans have when it comes to holding seemingly opposing ideas on the same subject. What I mean is that so many people are totally for someone or something, or against the same person or thing, based on their bias, either preconceived or not, and feel that agreement is the source of love, understanding, and truth. Too many people look at people unrealistically. And acceptance and reconciliation are different things, just as it is possible to care and love without agreeing, contrary as to what the majority of the people believe. I loved MJs music and even more so loved his videos. He was a major pop icon during my lifetime and many of his songs and videos bring back good memories. He was one of the most talented people that has ever lived. But none of that changes the fact that he had issues. None of that changes the fact that he made some odd decisions and that he was basically a weird duck. We can say that he lost his way along the route to stardom or that the pressures of this or that drove him insane, and we may be certain of that. But none of that gives him an excuse or free pass on his actions and thoughts. None of that makes him an angel or a demon. MJ did many things to help unfortunate people, but singing and dancing we rent on that list. Hungry people cannot eat a song. He also has been accused of some of the more heinous acts towards innocent children, that one can think of, short of mutilation. And that is hard to get past. But it doesn't change the fact that he is talented. I think all of this exposes how complex a person, most any person, can be. I think it exposes some flaws in our thinking. I also think it reveals where we are arrogant enough to think that we are the judge and jury of all things moral both here and there; both physical and spiritual. My take on it is that Michael is in God's hands now and God will determine if MJ spends an eternity in Hell or an eternity in Heaven. We had the responsibility to judge and punish while on Earth, but that time has passed. And anyone who is glad that someone has died and gone to Hell doesn't understand much about anything; and needs to seek Jesus. Plain and simple.

So remember Michael before he weirded out or after; but have no guilt in liking the music or videos. Don't confound the issues that are simple and don't overlook the issues that should be considered larger than they are considered. Use Orange Glow and remember that the commercials drove you insane. That doesn't imply hatred. Watch Charlies Angels and enjoy it or poke fun at the outdated fashions, there's nothing personal to it. Remember a hard difficult fight against a horrible disease, but don't let that turn someone into a saint because of it. Admire courage for courage's sake. Emulate the good things we see in people. Pray for the families without condoning the past actions of those who have died. If you have lost a mommas boy in your life, be sad for a moment then remember the good times; but always remember he was a mommas boy...sit back on the edge of a the set and watch life unfold and yell, "Yes sir!" every now and again. We will all be the better for it.

2 comments:

The Youngs said...

Everytime there is a sex scandal blasted all over our news, I cringe. How many children are explosed to sex before they really should be because of our news. I remember a friend of mine's daughter asking her questions when she was 6 because she things on the news. I know its hard to shelter children but you can not even watch the evening news anymore.

Sorry to ramble!

RMason said...

You are not rambling, Heather. And you are correct, in my opinion. There can be too much news. I'm not offended and I'm rarley shocked but most of us really don't need to hear all of the sordid details, as the cigars in the Clinton scandal. I would rather that not take up space in my mind, much less that of the mind of my children....