Monday, March 9, 2009

Three Questions

We deal with a lot of hypothetical questions and simulated situations these days. Economists give us thousands of estimated outcomes based loosely on our fiscal habits or predict gains and losses by factoring in yet to be determined numbers of spending and future production of goods and services.

The news media can do similar instances of predicting outcomes of elections, passage of legislature, future wars between states, so on and so forth. By using polls and hypothetical scenarios, we can better guess our future.

Many of us watch the weather forecasts to see how to dress for the week or what our plans will be according to Mother Nature's compliance; only to complain about the meteorological predictions when they are amiss by degrees and millimeters of rainfall.

Even the rag-mags and tabloids like to predict who wears what while being seen with who at which place.

And we eat all of it up. Whether we are living vicariously through the future or just using an estimated guess as to what the future brings so we escape the reality of the here and now, we like to "think ahead". We like to play "pretend" in a more grown-up fashion; with stocks, wars, economics, politics, etc instead of our make believing to be cowboys, indians, Han Solo, or pirates; but we still deal in terms of make-believe.

Thinking along these lines brought up some age old questions and scenarios to my often child-like mind. And though the scenarios and forecasts mentioned already in today's blog have some a priori facts and happenings, they still remain guesses, however educated that they are to be. The following questions are purely hypothetical, but can be very real in the telling of how we think and very revealing of the issues close to our heart. And though they are not "serious" questions, I would ask that we examine our answers very closely, at least for today.

The first questions is the obligatory, " What would you do with a million dollars?" Of course this used to be more straightforward, but now we have to ask if it is tax free and if not, what tax bracket are we in, and if that bracket were to change what would the governments percentage be? Is this considered windfall? Has it been gifted? How much is considered income, so on and so forth. Even our make-believe has gotten more complex. But let's fore go all of that and just say that it is one million dollars, tax free and complete. What would you do with it? What is your first thought on a million dollars? My initial thought is usually one of the "takin' the kids to Disneyland" variety. But what about the rest of the million? How many of us consider tithing first? And do we give it all to one "church"? Do we think about how we would help others before or after we pay all of our own debts? Would we consider helping just any one in need or only those we deem "worthy"? And would it be before or after we buy a new car for ourselves? Ignoring the new politics of the evils of wealth, would we let a million dollars change us for the better or for the worse? How many hungry people would we feed? How many homeless people would you shelter? What about the sick and dying? Or just the regular old people who are down on their luck, with no fantastic story or character traits? I could write down a list of things, right now, that would help better my fellow man and how I could do that before bettering myself; but my attempt at gallantry would be a lie. Sure I would do a lot of good for others, but it would probably be after my house and my yard are too my liking. I may not buy a new truck, but I would have toys and luxuries that I would rationalize needing to have, so that my spirit is in a better condition so that I could then, and only then, help my fellow man. I wish I could say things would be otherwise, but I know how I am.

The second question is the old, " If you had a dinner party and could invite ten people, who would be on the guest list?" Ten people of your choosing to have a meal and a discussion of your fancy with. Where to start the list? As a Christian, I would like to invite Jesus. I would ask Him to moderate so that all is kept moral and in check. My favorite hockey player is Brian Sutter so he's on the list. J.D. Salinger would keep things interesting. Ronald Reagan is a for sure. Grace Kelly just because she is Grace Kelly. My wife, so I could share/brag about my dinner party. Carey Grant would be invited for my wife's sake. Then add in some random philosophers and scientists, politicians and celebrities, people of historical significance and those with a pioneer spirit to keep it all lively. It would be difficult to invite only ten. But I would invite those who I have an interest in and those who I stand to gain something from. The invitees stature would elevate my own ranking in the world. I would feel brighter and bolder just by sharing space with these people of my choosing. I would be in the catbird seat over people of considerable greatness and fame. But as I think of my list of who's who at my dinner table, I think that all of these people, except Jesus, were always well fed and sheltered. These people made their marks upon the world, but how many were affected by the marks of others? If I invited Jesus, why wouldn't I invite Hitler or Pol Pot or any random rapist or murderer? As a Christian, wouldn't I want Jesus to share His message, personally, to those who seemingly need it the most? Didn't he die for the sinners all alike? And why wouldn't I invite a homeless or a hungry person? Would I assume that they are homeless and hungry for a reason and that I would only be interfering with God's plan/punishment in their lives? Couldn't I just pray for the sick and heartbroken? And doesn't my faith express itself better by words? And can't my Christianity be suspended for just one fantasy dinner with ten people of my choosing? I know the answer but hesitate to type it; and I am afraid Jesus would be disappointed in the favoritism I exhibit at my dinner party.

Finally, the question of, "If you had the answers to three questions, what would they be?" How to cure cancer? Is there life on other planets? What is the formula for a new metal? Where is Jimmy Hoffa? And what would I do with the answers to these questions? Patent formulas and recipes as to make money for myself and my family? Flaunt my knowledge so that people find me to be brighter than anyone else they know? Boost my self-esteem by knowing something that no one else on earth knows? I'm sure that I would make good use of my questions and answers. I would solve a couple of curiosities. I would do something to better mankind, if for nothing except ego. But what are the questions that would be the most beneficial to my neighbors? Shouldn't I ask how to better witness to those who don't know Jesus? Would I ask how to better explain the Trinity so I could teach those who can't comprehend or those weaker in their faith? Should I ask how to more effectively take God's plan of salvation to the world? How can I help those who are depressed and in need? Shouldn't I ask how to best spend a fictitious million dollars for the most glory for God or who would best be served by attending a make-believe dinner party?

Luckily, the third question could be spent on curiosities and formulas because all of our answers to the rest is covered in the Bible, and as Christians we have the Holy Spirit empowering us to ask things to our Heavenly Father through Jesus name. But we should still practice the faith we proclaim to have and not suspend our beliefs in any circumstance.

It is not my intention to sound preachy or goody-goody. I only want to give us something to think about on a Monday, besides material things. We get enough of that in the news and in the "real world". I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade or ruin a handful of hypothetical questions meant for casual conversation. I like to pretend and escape as much as the next person, and I have to admit that it is not my nature to initially desire to help strangers. I am painfully loyal and my interests are usually to help those I care about and those I deem worthy. And as the Bible says, even pagans do this. This doesn't require much faith or character.

I hope that this does give us some food for thought and that it doesn't come across as preachy. You can do whatever you want to do with your hypothetical questions and with your life; God gives us freewill and i have no desire to manipulate that will. And I know that my search for the truth, and for purpose, may be seen by many as fictitious as the three questions posted here in this blog; and I can only speak for myself and my opinions. But I am finding that material things don't last, regardless of forecasts and predictions. I am finding that faith cannot be bought, except through sometimes difficult lessons. I am finding that more people blow a lot more smoke about nothing than they used to. I am discovering that questions I ask myself, intended for escape and enjoyment, have began to lead me back toward the path of materialism and smack-dab back into the real world.

No comments: