Friday, March 6, 2009

The Product of Too Much Cold-Medicine

Before I get to my random ranting and raving, I would like to thank my wife for doing the blog on Wednesday. I'm sure that those who read noticed that there was some style and substance on Wednesday, something that seems to be lacking normally here at The Self-Inflicted Blog. And those who read may have noticed that she didn't even mention the stimulus package.

But I am back today, albeit in a cold medicine induced haze. And I am gonna mention the lousy stimulus package. It looks like only a miracle can prevent this earmark laden, thrown together, 1100 pages of toilet paper they call legislation, from becoming a done deal. I have signed a petition and complained to my congress person, as I hope many others have; but I fear it may bee too little too late. I honestly believe that only an act of God can stop this nonsensical package from becoming real law.

I have ranted and raved about all of the pork. An independent and non-partisan group, Taxpayers For Common Sense estimates that there are 8,570 disclosed earmarks coming in at about $7.7 billion. There is a database available to check there findings. And this number includes a $200 million "green" bridge literally going to nowhere, in the Florida Everglades. No, I don't know what a "green bridge" is either. But it is proposed so it will help the local native American tribe living in this region; even though the native American people in this tribe do not want this bridge and did not ask for this bridge. And I say this to make a point that this stimulus package is another bridge that very few people want. Most every poll shows that almost seventy percent, and the number is rising, of the American people do not want this stimulus package passed. That number shows that people aren't thinking in terms of partisan politics, but that the vast majority of the American people do not want this package; yet our government feels they know better what we need in our lives than we do. So it's full speed ahead in the name of the interest of the people...We are losing our representation in our government.

And that's what this stimulus package is bridging. Just as a bridge in the everglades or a remote part of Alaska, it serves little real purpose of, for, or to the people it is built in the name of. This is the same thing that our government is doing now; in the form of stimulus packages and soon to be health care and education. I know that I rant about this a lot, but the passing of this stimulus legislation is crucial to how we do government for many years ahead. That is my concern, not partisan politics.

But enough of that today. It is Friday and many have had a long, grueling week. So lets keep it light. And to make you smile, here's a couple of words for you...Tim Geitner...See?!!? Didn't that little chuckle make you feel better? I always giggle when I hear those words...

On a serious note, I guess, I read that a mall in Wellington, New Zealand has a plan to pacify, subdue, and possibly drive off unruly teens. And the plan is to play Barry Manilow music for all to hear. I kid you not! I read it on the Internet, so it must be true. Maybe some of you are Manilow fans and are offended, but I got a kick out of this concept. Heck, I may start playing some of Barry's music to subdue my own children here at home.

I read a little of another article titled, "Five Post Layoff Tips". It had all kinds of little pithy sayings and chestnuts of wisdom for all of those who have lost their jobs. Ways to bolster your resume and how to sell yourself and all kinds of things like that. I'm certain that it helped to create jobs so that people could actually become hired and paid. I felt that any employer who was reading realized that the reason they had to lay off many workers or close their manufacturing plants was not because of economic hardships or things financial, but due to the fact that no one has really sent in a nice looking resume for some time. If the employers of business who are losing their investments in the market or are preparing for the heavy taxation that is coming in the next few months would only realize that a firm handshake and a fresh, double spaced resume is all that is needed for inspiration to push forward in these tense economic times...must have been a slow news day.

What about all of this Rush Limbaugh stuff? Judging by the amount of coverage all things Rush garnered this week, I would say that times can't be all that bad. And who really listens to what he says anyway? Who really takes him as a serious political figure? I think all of the hoopla shows negligent coverage by the media in portraying Rush as the face of conservatives. Or it points to the fact that the Republican party is in real trouble; and that there are no fresh ideas coming down the pike. And the truth is probably a little of both and more of the latter.

I have some other notes I have scribbled down on some scratch paper, but nothing I can imagine to be very fruitful on a cold-medicine induced, hazy Friday. I do hope that everyone has a good weekend!

No comments: