Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, Spring Fever, and Little More

TGIF!!!

The spring fever has hit me very hard this week. Of course it has turned out to be 30 degrees following the nearly 80 degree weather that brought on the fever. But such is life and there are more important things to fuss about.

And you know how I like to fuss. It is basically the only reason I vote or am active in anything that I do; so that I can complain with a relatively guilt-free conscious. And with that note, here goes the blog for Friday the Thirteenth.

Speaking of Friday the Thirteenth, I was fortunate enough to catch the last minute or two of "Jason Vs. Freddy" or something like that, last night. And what a jewel it was. Wow! It reminded me of another golden moment in cinema, "Alien Vs. Predator:Requiem." Don't get me wrong, I love some cheese with my horror/sci-fi movies, but these two were heavier than a hundred pound block of Velveeta. And as a child of the 80's, I know me some cheese. I also grew up watching Friday the Thirteenth, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Alien, to name a few. And it amazes me that the movies are still being made with the characters from those movies, in some form or another. It tells me that Hollywood is either out of ideas or that too many movies are being made...I sure loved watching those campy movies in a theater full of friends when I was younger...

On a more serious note, I think, here is a direct quote from Barak Obama on the legislation/budget/fiscal spending bonanza: " Let there be no doubt, this piece of legislation must mark an end to the old way of doing business and the beginning of a new era of responsibility and accountability." Where do I start on my complaints...How about Campaigning on the reform and no pork platform, then passing a bill with 8,570 earmarks. Both happening within six months of each other. At least Bush waited three years to spend like a drunken sailor after campaigning as a Frugal Freddy...and how about just admitting to the American people that you are aware of all of the wasteful spending in the legislation yet you feel o.k. with signing on anyway. Especially in this economy...and what is with the "this is the last time" thing. It's kind of like me and my diet, "This is the last Monster burger that I am gonna eat. This week. Or right now. Until I eat the nest one." Then I wonder why I am gaining weight when my words are saying that I am on a diet...Honestly, i would be embarrassed if I were Obama. And i would be afraid that I just tipped my hand and showed that Pelosi and Reid actually run this country as I sit back and produce a bunch of empty words...I will say it again, Obama will be worse than Jimmy Carter. And Lyndon Johnson.

While I am on the issue of politics, I would like to ask, "Where are the leaders of the Republican party?" As the media paints Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh as the future of conservatives, the real conservative people in this country have to wonder where is our next Reagan and when will they walk onto the scene? Maybe all of the political focus is on celebrities, since the American people just elected a celebrity instead of a leader, maybe the media is just following suit. And you have to admit, it is more exciting to cover pseudo/celebrity leaders rather than following a true leader who may not tickle our ears. If any such person still exists.

And a word to the evangelical demographic group, We had better start looking to God, as we should have been doing all along, instead of Republicans or Democrats. Because the evangelical demographic group is about to be in the same boat as they were before Reagan. Evangelicals have been catered to in order to receive votes for the last several election cycles. Nearly thirty years of cycles, I suppose. But I am afraid that is coming to en end. But on a positive note, maybe evangelical Christians will look to God first now and that our churches will becoming more active in our communities instead of relying on our faith in government or our confidence that someone else will do ministry so all we need to do is take care of the building.

I may write on the culture wars more next week. I am torn between how I view my role in the culture wars and if I am fanning the flames or offering an alternative outlook. But I am trying to keep it light this week...

And my Blues are 2 points away from the final playoff spot, for the 3 people who still follow hockey.

I am beginning to think that today's blog is beginning to look like Wednesday's blog.

Maybe it is the incessant droning of my children in the background. Maybe it is the having to stop after typing every three words and yell at someone. Maybe it is the sensation, no reality, of trying to focus on my thoughts while a 23 month old monkey-child is climbing my back. Whatever it is, I feel like I have been here before. Deja Vu all over again.

And on that note, I am out of time, patience, and thoughts for the moment. The kids and spring fever have won today, I will end here.

Have a great weekend! And if you need a place to go to Sunday morning, there are a handful of people trying to have a different kind of Sunday School if you are interested. I can even tell you where the side door is, so you can sneak inside and won't have to go through a lot of formalities so early in the morning. God Bless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you vented about Timothy Geithner and I missed it?
Geneva

Anonymous said...

I haven't vented much about Geitner. Sometimes comedy is best left to it's own devices, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Our Sunday school class is very laid-back! PLease join us!!!!