Friday, May 29, 2009

Sotomayor Vs. The People

As the politics of the new Supreme Court Judge, Sonia Sotomayor, are beginning to warm up, I find myself just as disillusioned and possibly more jaded than I was a week ago. And there are a handful of reasons:

For starters, I don't really know much about Sonia Sotomayor, and I think that most people who claim that they do have a lot of knowledge about her either have entirely too much time on their hands or they Googled her name like most of us pseudo-political, semi-knowledgeable, and opined bloggers and news media personnel have done. And though I admit that I don't know much about Sotomayor, I find some of her statements to be troublesome. I find it worrisome that we are concerned with her background and how that will make her a better judge. I find it ethically wrong to say that she can make better judgements because of her textured and cultural life as a Hispanic woman, when bias and background should not figure into any equation or jurisprudence from the bench. But so much is askew in all branches of our government, and our character as a nation is so diluted and taken for granted, that I must admit that I am not very surprised; more jaded, but not amazed.

I do think it is wrong to favor Sotomayor or oppose her based on the political party of the one appointing the new supreme Court Judge. If it is crucial that any one branch stay nonpartisan, it would have to be the judicial branch. Not that any branches should be partisan or tainted, but it would be nice if the parties would call a truce on our judges and leave the courts as a neutral site in the war of political parties. I guess it is too much to ask that we try to maintain purity or integrity in at least one area; and I infer that there is no honor among the thieves...

I am growing tired of hearing how the nomination of Sotomayor helps solidify the base of Hispanic voters as well as shores up a small percentage of the disenfranchised women voters. I am already sick of the reports saying that to question Sotomayor on many specifics will alienate several demographically challenged voters and their paolitical party of interest, so this must be handled with kid gloves. Kid gloves? We should not be passionate or appear to zealous when deciding on one of the handful of people that can shape and change our government; and our lives, whether we want the change or not?!!? We should tread lightly so we don't upset an election that will take place in three and a half years? Is this what the nomination of a Supreme Court Judge boils down to? I suggest that someone go to Gettysburg, Arlington National Cemetery, or even the National Cemetery in Bloomfield, Missouri and look at the graves of our soldiers and decide if they died for a demographic. Or ask a widow of a soldier in Iraq on the importance of what party wins the next election. Look into the eyes of a fallen soldier's child and tell her that she lost her daddy so that a certain party can maintain power in Washington...

I will digress on the party system for now; as I wish that the politicians would digress likewise. If only the people of America could see one act of decency; an act that shows the people that someone, anyone, cares. But I am afraid that in the case of Sotomayor versus The People, that we will see the bombastic and oppressive get the oil that the squeaky wheel always desires as cowards and the apathetic sit quietly by and hope the maelstrom passes them so that they can maintain a peaceful reelection.

No comments: