Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Remember

This is the blog I would have written on Monday, but I felt it wouldn't be right to rant on a day that others were sincerely honoring. But here it is a couple days later:


As I watched WW2 movies on Memorial Day, I thought about how the great men in our military have really fought to defend our freedom. For over 200 years, men and women have fought, sacrificed, and endured hardships so that the rest of us could enjoy our freedoms.

But our freedom has turned into "rights" through the process of selfishness, empathy, and politics. Those rights, in turn, have become entitlements; of which I will spare the rant, but would like everyone to think hard on the terminology used here.

This lead me to think of the hardships and sacrifices of our military people; and soon I became saddened by the thoughts of the abuse of our freedoms. I feel sad thinking about what we call freedom now; and how it seems unfair that we asked so many to sacrifice so much over the centuries. Those who fought for freedom must hurt when they see the ingratitude and the apathy so many carry around in our suitcases and briefcases.

Did we ask men to fight and sacrifice and endure so that egotistical congressmen can make ridiculous laws and regulations? Did our soldiers die so that we can concern ourselves with demographics in our political parties, while neglecting our core values and beliefs? Did our parents and grandparents die and suffer so that our government can grow so large that it redistributes our freedoms from those who believe to those who could really care less? A crooked sheriff's department in Jones County Mississippi not only infringes upon individual rights, but destroys the constitution with malice and ego. How easily do we surrender our freedom by turning the other cheek? The ACLU desires to destroy any tradition and most values that many Americans hold dear, in the name of progressive concerns and intellectual advancement; and we are so afraid of their terminology or fear having our own intellect questioned, that we stand pat as they assault real liberty. Freedom is taken out of our hands by the growth of government, but we allow it as long as the check clears the bank. Just show me the money and you can do whatever you like; regardless of the liberty and freedom destroyed. A governor in Illinois sells a seat in congress to the highest bidder, and punishment is delayed by "justice" and diluted by process; while many assume that is just how business is done, so why worry ourselves with the dirty details.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture I am trying to paint. And I am not suggesting that we all rise up in arms and start a revolution; although anyone interested in such should feel free to contact me. What I am suggesting is to think of the sacrifices and hardships of war and of our soldiers; men and women who fought for our future and for our freedom. And as we remember and think of these hardships that have been endured, we should act accordilgly and vote accordingly. We should be angered at the disrespect we show our should be heroes when we see real freedom compromised, and even more so maddened when we see the apathetic reactions to such situations. Many great men deserve better. And many great men in our future will deserve a cause bigger than themselves to defend. If we are to suffer and endure, let it be over our principles and our love of real freedom, not the self-centered and selfishness of rights and entitlements.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I agree and it angers me so much that I can't hardly stand how our freedoms are dwindling away, esp. as christians. I personally think the ACLU is the devil incarnate and big government is horrible. When I start to think about how so many have died for our right to pray and salute our flag and to say the pledge of allegiance...and now it's all getting taken away?? Because some atheist in California was offend...one person can make a terrible difference. ahhhh. It really frustrates me.

RMason said...

It is beyond frustrating to me as well Ginger. maybe a real change is coming though...i sure hope so...

I do wish that we would all consider the cost of our freedoms.

And I really can't say enough bad about the ACLU. Even my more liberal friends detest them. So why do they have any "pull"?