Monday, May 11, 2009

One Reader Writes

A few days ago,a reader posted a comment asking for a discussion on interracial dating/marriage, should you discuss birth control with teens, and teens in regard to starting dating. The comment was that these topics came up in some conversations and are topics of interest to some of the readers of this blog. I sincerely want to write about things that cause us to think, and have expressed my desire for this blog to have a sense of purpose. I also want to do my best to answer questions and discuss topics that are not only relevant, but topics that are of interest to the readers. With all of that being said, I will do my best to give my two cents on these topics. Feel free to add any comments or start any discussion, whether you agree with my views or not. Leave comments here or at The Readers of The Self-Inflicted Blog, on Facebook. It is an open group that anyone may join:

I will begin with the third topic first: "Teens in regards to starting to date." I don't feel that there is a set age for a teenager to begin dating. I think the age depends on the maturity of the teens involved, as well as the character of the teens involved. Teens wish to be treated as individuals and hate to be lumped together as a group, and just called teens. Maybe not in matters that generalize a demographic, but in matters that would generalize individuality. My kids are two years old and five years old, and already hate to be lumped together as "you kids"; but prefer to be addressed as individuals. So acknowledge the teens individuality and consider dating based on their individual maturity and their personal character. When we give the kids a magic age of sixteen or eighteen, they can feel like it's just another rule. Encourage kids to make well thought out decisions and to look at all of the causes and effects of their decisions; based upon their ability and maturity. This will better develop character.

On a side note, be aware of what your kids watch on television. Many of the "kids programs" and Disney stuff can cause some kids to grow up too fast; or at least pretend to grow up too fast. My five year old is very susceptible to shows like iCarly, where preteens and teens talk entirely too much about dating and breaking up and throw words like boyfriend and girlfriend around way too much for my taste. Ive seen some of the Hannah Montana junk and it's dangerous to some kids as well. They place kids in positions of career, responsibility, and relationships without ever teaching them anything of value. Many of the shows have kids and adults living vicariously through the other; never focusing on the reality of relationships or dynamics of reality. These shows can be counterproductive, depending on what and how you teach your children...and that's just the condensed version of my views in this matter.

The next topic of " Should you discuss birth control with teens?": I believe the answer is yes; especially if the teen asks about the issue first. My wife and I believe that if a child is old enough or inquisitive enough to ask a question, then they deserve an answer. We try to raise our kids with this philosophy. Now the depth of the answer depends on the maturity of the child, obviously. There is no need to confuse or muddy the waters, nor is there any reason to cause any child, or person, to feel dumbed down by any answer that they may receive.

I have done youth ministry for over ten years and I feel that there are no taboo topics to discuss with teens, especially if they are doing the asking. I believe that you must use discretion as to when and how to introduce some topics, all things have a time and place, but I feel that there should be no topic that cannot be discussed.

A topic like birth control is no different. I do feel that it is a topic that can be discussed in general with teens, but when it involves specifics or more personal talk, they are best advised to take this up with their parents; and I would advise the teens to do such. But all kids do not have the luxury of caring or understanding parents, and I would treat each case personally and individually.

As to my opinion of birth control for teens, I always teach from an abstinence point of view. I realize that that may not be very pragmatical, but I believe it is Biblical, and the Bible and God is where I get my wisdom and guidance. But to just tell a kid that they should not take birth control and that they should just practice abstinence is not enough. These are personal, serious issues that cannot be looked at or taught as just another rule to follow with no real reason for the "why" to follow. You have to focus on the relationships. You have to teach about love. Without the relationship with God and without love, all of our acts are reduced to merely acts that are performed in order to satisfy a dynamic of our psyche. I realize that I sound "old-fashioned" and maybe close-minded to some, but I have found these things to be true in my life as well as in the life of others. And it really isn't a matter of narrow-mindedness in my opinion, it's what is best for the kids.

Teen pregnancy is a big problem. And the ages of pregnant moms get younger and younger. I have witnessed c-sections on eleven year old girls; on more than one occasion. An eleven year old's body cannot handle birth control; at least not healthily. Kids have to be taught about relationships, and no more important relationship than the one with a loving God. We are advised and commanded to wait until marriage for reasons that God reveals and teaches, not just because someone said so; and abstinence should be taught from that perspective.

I have also told pregnant teens that being pregnant and having a child is no sin; so enjoy and love the child. The premarital sex is the sin that was committed; regardless of the pregnancy. Don't let a social stigma burden you. We all sin, some sins have more serious repercussions, but we all have sin. Take it to God, focus on your relationship with Him, and allow Grace to work in your life. Nothing is worse than treating an unwed mother like they are a scourge on society; and little more is hypocritical.

As for the question of interracial dating/marriage, I cannot find it anywhere in the Bible or in my quiet time with God, as to where interracial marriage is wrong or a sin. I have actually had a preacher tell me that he believed it was a sin and gave a couple of verses; but it was easy to see that he was trying to rationalize his own sin and prejudice. God warned the Jews not to marry outside of Jews at "that" time because He knew that marrying pagans would lead to practices that would dilute their worship and affect their relationships with God. And I guess that the preacher ignored the entire book,"The Song of Solomon"; a romance/love story between a Jewish king and a Shulamite servant; who was black. But prejudice is ignorance and if you practice it, it clouds your view of the truth.

On the modern interracial relationship; the view I take depends on the maturity and character of the individuals involved. I realize that it is beginning to sound like a cop-out, but I am sincere in my approach to serious issues. It would be more difficult to encourage interracial dating to someone who is not mature enough to handle the extra dynamics that are involved in an interracial relationship; but by no means can I teach or advise that it is wrong. But because something is permissible doesnt make it beneficial, to simplify some words from Paul. But it is also difficult to tame the heart in matters such as these. There is fine line sometimes, as there are in any issue.

Interracial relationships are not for everyone, but for many it is not an issue that causes problems. Geography, culture, community, and the like, are more highlighted sometimes, but minimal in other situations. But never is interracial relationships to be considered sinful or not acceptable. We should teach and advise against prejudice, and true love has no hint of bias; in our relationship with God as well as others. God can certainly have the mate He chooses for you to be of a different skin color. And we are certainly capable of loving someone for who they are, not loving basd on a skin tone.

I realize that these are general answers/opinions to some hot topics; but time and space won't allow for much more depth. but notice that all of these things, as well as all things in our lives, involve relationships; both with God and with others. Don't ignore or forget the lesson that Jesus tried to teach those He encountered, over and over.

Maybe this will get the ball rolling and open up some discussions. I hope I was clear and concise. If not, feel free to ask questions; and feel free to leave any comments you wish!

6 comments:

Brandy said...

As "your wife", I have never publicly commented on a blog, but I felt compelled to comment on this particular blog. I enjoy all of them, but this blog brings two words to my mind: admiration and gratefulness. Admiration in that you took a stand on issues that can sometimes be very divisive but you did so from your heart, from Godly wisdom, and with a gentle spirit. Gratefulness out of sheer selfishness and pride in that I, yes I, AM MARRIED TO YOU! What a blessing to be married to the author of such loving wisdom and truth.

RMason said...

Thank you, Brandy! Not much else I can say on here, except thank you!

Unknown said...

Ronnie, I agree with you on all levels. I never really looked in the Bible to back up any "teaching" about inter-racial marriages I just went on what I was told by my grandmother mostly, and family. It has really opened my eyes that it's not a "sin" to marry outside of your race. I don't want to call the environment that I was raised as racist, but the era that our parents and grandparents grew up in was a different time with different views when it came to race. I don't blame them for their ways, they need to expand their minds and open up. Jesus did that, he left no one out. He even associated with prostitutes and theives because He loves EVERYONE no matter what. We should take this example and love one another no matter the color. What we need to do as parents with our own children is not make the same mistake, we need to be open and honest and allow our children to love who they want to love.

As for the birth control issue,of course abstinence first, but that needs to be expanded. We don't need to say just no sex and that's it. Our children need to be educated and I say the earlier the better since we have 11 yo kids getting pregnant. They need to know about their bodies first of all; the anatomy, hormones, etc. Then we need to be honest about desires, feelings of love and lust. I think, personally that if the child is mature enough, show pictures of STD's, sit down talk about the financial aspect, and put some reality with the "side effects" of having sex. Somehow instill that sex is not recreation, but very special and sacred to marriage. Every person you have sex with before you are married takes a piece of you, a special piece of you with them that should not be for the taking. I can say that I really, really regret ever having sex outside of the sanctity of marriage. But it's hard to tell a teen or child and get them to understand that. That brings me to birth control (in a way round about way). I have no problem putting my girl on birth control or giving my son condoms to prevent STD's and pregnancy. I'm not going to sit and think that they just aren't going to have sex because I told them so. There are realities we have to face with teens and unfortunately children.

Sorry if I blabbed on and on, but I was struck by these topics.

RMason said...

Excellent post Ginger. It really is. Very thoughtful and insightful!

These are pretty important topics; as well as topics that come up in a lt of converstaions these days. I hope the blog and comments like yours will cause people to think!

Anonymous said...

Thanks ronnie for touching on my topic suggestions, I enjoy your blog, and I read it often.

I agree with Brandy in regards to the way you approached and spoke on the topics, which are hot topics indeed, but I knew that you would give it from the heart and I looked forward to seeing what you had to say.

With inter-racial dating or marriage, I personally believe that my skin should not play a part in who I choose to love and spend the rest of my life with. I feel for those around me that I love that have to go through so much to be with someone they love because they are from a different race, I feel for anyone in that situation actually. And I was recently in a very heated discussion about the matter. I feel that for people who don't approve or its not for you, or you would never do it etc.... Fine, because everything is not for everyone, but what they need to do is respect the fact that, a personal choice or a personal preference or what someone else does approve of or indulges in , in that regard is not their place to judge or single them out or try to make their life harder because of who they are dating or married to. Even things I don't do, I can respect someone elses choice to do them. I think this is something that will always be a hot topic, and will never be widely accepted by society, it is in a better place then it once was, but it is still hard out their who happens to be dating or married to someone outside of their race.

With dating I agree with you 100%, it does and should depend on the individual and what you feel they are ready for, their level of maturity etc... So many parents don't lead by example, and others tend to be in denial and they fall into a situation where their kids don't feel like they can talk about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING with them, so they turn to the wrong avenues for answers. People tend to think especially old school people, avoid it and dont talk about it and it won't happen.... I do and intend to continue TALKING to my kids, and most importantly I LISTEN, and I am a up in your face parent, and involved parent, so many parents don't know whats going on with their kids for various reasons. I won't blink twice about birth control or condoms for any of my kids when its that time, YES they will be armed with knowledge about their body, and the many choices, and what is the right thing to do, and what could happen if they take certain paths, but like Ginger stated, There are realities we have to face when it comes to teens.

I know alot of people who feel that if you give them birth control or condoms that you are green lighting them to have sex.


ALJ

RMason said...

Great post, ALJ! It's good to get more insight from everyone; at least I think so...

If everyone would respect other people, like you wrote, we wouldn't have near the messes we have now.

I don't think birth control or condoms give the green light for sex unless they are given blindly and blankly. These things have to be discussed at length and in depth with our kids, not just the same old birds and bees talk on a rainy afternoon.

This has been a good topic and has had some excellent responses!