Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Good Fight

Those who know me very well, know that I enjoy following politics. I like to know what is going on in the government. I enjoy some of the strategy of politics. I even like some of the good, old-fashioned mudslinging even though it is useless and juvenile. But this election season has really burned me out, turned me off, and rolled me over. I am also becoming more jaded toward government, and with good reason. I feel like a man without a party or a person to represent me in government. And though I blame government for alot of this, it does sadly reflect upon the people of the U.S.A. The reflection is not one of evil, but of apathy. And I feel like apathy has gotten us into the political mess that we are in today. It at least started us on the current pathway.

As I thought about these things last night, I thought that I would do my blog on all things political today. I probably couldn't get it all in, but it could have been the beginning of a three or four part blog leading up to the election. And as I thought about it, I became angry. Angry at too many things to mention now. And as my anger gained momentum and I became too tired to keep it in check, I realized that I need to step back and rethink things. What were the things that I really count on in life? Where is my general will to fight the good fight, so to speak? Where is my hope?

And I realized that I had lost my perspective again. I had let my intensity and my emotions get the best of me. I was thinking too much of people and crisis and how to fix the world, at least in my own mind. In my desire to see things get better and my assumption that they weren't getting better, I lost my focus. I forgot where I usually place my hope. I was losing peace.

But thankfully the Holy Spirit came through. Despite of myself. And His job as counselor and comforter was done perfectly, as it always is.

And it wasn't a big billboard type of thing. There were no shooting stars. Nothing flashed in neon telling me to remember who was in control. Just that small, steady voice reminding me that God is sovereign, regardless of who is in what position. Regardless of what happens. Despite our shortcomings or our strengths. God is sovereign and nothing surprises Him.

And I was reminded that Jesus was our life model when He was here on Earth. His example would better suit me to prepare to fight the good fight. He never shied away from politics or crisis. He never let anyone roll over Him without allowing them to do so. He was active in society in social matters. He was involved in the world around Himself.

But that wasn't His focus. He always remembered why He was here and what His purpose was. Regardless of Rome or Israel. He maintained His focus on the Father and on others. That is how He fought apathy. That is how He made a difference in people's lives. That is how He was able to be involved without being jaded and overwhelmed.

So I have nothing political to write today. I will, at sometime today, watch the news and I will probably get angry at apathy, ignorance, and corruption. But I will not allow it to alter my focus. At least not today.

This may be hard for some people to understand, and it may be very easy for others to comprehend. I hope it helps everyone in some manner or fashion. And know that sharing this reminder that was shared with me is my contribution to the good fight...

No comments: