Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It WAS running everywhere!

"Mommy...I'm afraid I spilled the lemonade" were the words that so abruptly interrupted my thought process. My initial response was obviously, "Well, get a rag to clean it up." And then I was brought to my feet by the next response... "I spilled all of it, Mommy, and it's running everywhere." Oh the joys of motherhood!!!

As I bolted to the "lake of lemonade", I found that my precious four-year old's words were true...it WAS running everywhere! Grasping for any and every strip of material that might possibly soak up liquid, I managed to ask, "How did this happen?" And his response..."It was just too heavy with all of that lemonade in it!" It is in those moments that as a parent you realize you have just asked one of those STUPID questions that you promised yourself you would never ask once you were a parent!!! HOW DID I THINK IT HAD HAPPENED????

Yet, in the midst of my hand-wringing "I said I'd never do that" moment, I heard a still, small voice once again. (I never ceased to be amazed at how often the Spirit speaks to me through the process of raising my own children. ) "Brandy, how often do you reach for things that are 'too heavy'...things that you attempt on your own that only cause 'lakes of lemonade'...things that are meant for your good, but only in the right setting and My perfect timing?" Oh, my amazing Lord, once again I find myself before your throne of grace...shaking my head in agreement with your gentle Spirit. Where do I go from here?

And in my moment of reflection, and honestly, somewhat embarrassment, I was brought back to reality by another familiar, gentle, humbled voice..."Mommy, I am really sorry."

AND THERE WAS MY ANSWER..."Lord, I am really sorry."

I am so thankful that the God I have the privilege of serving is a God of grace...a God who is always willing to clean up my "lakes of lemonade"...a God who not only carries the heavy loads, but carries me when necessary!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mt 11:28-30

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, glad to have someone on here who I actually understand what they are writing about. (Sorry Ronnie you are above my head most days brother).

Brandy,
I feel your heart in your writing. We always try to do "too much" and end up in the same boat as little Noah. You know 2 passages immediately came to my mine when I read this:

1) And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew6:28-34.
2)Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

2 VERY hard verses to live up to especially on my account. But the Lord is always calling us to a constant reminder of trusting in him, yet day after day I have to drill these passages in my head and can only help the Lord shows much grace and mercy as I fail to daily.

--Matt

Anonymous said...

Brandy does do a nice job witing from the heart. No apology needed; Im just glad that you read our stuff. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

haha, usually it means you are a good writer when you write over my head. Brandy is a good writer also she just talks about everyday stuff that I understand.

--Matt

Anonymous said...

Im probably more below the knees than over your head...sometimes things that are so interesting to me are pretty dull to most people...my sister always called me a closet nerd!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the "mommy, I am really sorry." Sure humbleness.
G-ma