Monday, September 15, 2008

Awesome

What was left of Hurricane Ike rolled through here early Sunday morning. And it made quite a mess. Even as I type this, I hear a chainsaw and hammers in the distance.

As the storm winds blew and we sat and watched without any power, there were many thoughts going through my mind; and I'm sure many had the same experience. Safety for my family, damage to my house, concern for my friends and their families, insurance deductibles, dents on car tops, so on and so forth. And as I sat there admiring the storm while concerning myself with the aftermath of Ike's remnants, my four year old awoke suddenly, grabbed a flashlight, and ran to the window to see the storm for his first time that morning.

"That's Awesome!" was all he said, while wild-eyed and amazed.

That changed my perspective.

And while I know that it's impossible, as well as unhealthy, to live our lives so simply; there are moments that we can. My concerns and thoughts wouldn't stop one limb from falling or send one drop of rain back to the clouds. The conditions were too bad outside to deal with any issues of the moment. So as I viewed my four year old watch the storm with awe and reverence, I changed my outlook on the storm. After all, this wasn't the every day weather; sunshine or overcast. This was something out of the ordinary.

So I followed my son's lead and sat back with a dimly lit flashlight and enjoyed the storm for a while. I prayed for God to protect and left things in his hands.

I sat back and enjoyed the moment. And realized that I miss alot of unconventional beauty and focus too much on the common. I also realized how "Awesome" it is to learn this lesson from my son Noah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Ronnie, I understood that one, haha

--Matt

Anonymous said...

I had you in mind today, Matt! haha!!!

Anonymous said...

That's so wonderful.