Monday, January 11, 2010

Harry Reid, Al Sharpton, and Me

Good Monday to everyone! I only have a few minutes, but I want to get some thoughts down; and at least get back to more consistent blogging. After all, you deserve it, right? You are reading this so that means something, doesn't it?

Anyway, I will begin by mentioning that I do not watch much news these days. I read a lot of news from a handful of sites on the web, thank you Al Gore, but I do not watch much, on television. And I say that to apologize if I am not very current or if I am repeating anything that you have already heard.

But how about this Harry Reid stuff? And how about the severe double standard by the Democrats and the Republicans. Wow! And before you join in and give a big, "yeah that's right" in your mind, and point fingers at how out of touch our leaders are, I ask you to pause and reflect for a minute. Granted, I do feel that our government does not represent us or our best interests, but I am afraid that the double standard in racial issues are only being mirrored; and that our society refracts that upon the congress...or maybe Harry Reid is a real person after all... I guess what I am tip-toeing around is that, as sad as it may be, racism is not only still alive but worsening. And that, too often, a pigmentation in our skin causes us to generalize about something in someone's heart. Of course we don't help break stereotypes when we act in stereotypical fashion, but that is for another day.

But the double standard is glaring. And I understand why the Republicans are screaming about the double standard, because it does seem to be ok for a Democrat to say certain things about black people, while it is not ok for Republicans to say the same thing. And we can call it semantics, or any other two-cent word, but it is a double standard. Of course the double standard for the Republicans is probably more like unjustified anger. Or maybe pretend animosity. Make-believe indignity? However you want to slice it, it probably smells more like insincerity and politics rather than having the odor of concern for civil rights. And the hypocrisy of both parties overshadows the double standard...

And speaking of double standard, I did see that Al Sharpton got an apology for the comments that Harry Reid made about Barak Obama...let me read that again...Harry Reid...spoke out of line...made an ass of himself...in concern to...President Obama...Nope! I didn't see Al Sharpton mentioned anywhere. Why did he get an apology? Who brought him into this? I do realize that he should understand "double standard" better than most, as he has made a career of it, but I still don't recall anyone speaking to him. But I very well could have missed that aspect of the fracas; I admittedly haven't followed the story very closely, I just happened to see him on one of the news channels as I flipped between football games this weekend. So I apologize if I only have part of the Harry Reid story and Al Sharpton was spoken to or about. But the way I see it now is that Al Sharpton gets an automatic apology every time someone, or at least any Republican, says the word "black". And I stand by my sentiment that Sharpton exploits those he pretends to care about, but again, another lesson for another day...I do know that I feel like he tries to make me feel bad for not liking black licorice and that I should apologize to him for the fact. I do like black coffee, but I am afraid that doesn't cancel out any negative aspects concerning the licorice...and I do want to know how one becomes the voice of a demographic, minus the Castro route; because when I do figure it out, I will get on t.v. and gain free publicity for someone else's work as well as apologies, every time someone says, "bald", "sarcastic", "stocky", "know-it all", and "jerk".

And on that note, I am out of time. I spent so much time on the Harry Reid thing, that I didn't get to the shocker of Mark McGwire's steroid use. Or that his steroid use is Sarah Palin's fault. Maybe I can cover more news of the obvious in the near future.

In the meantime, try to remember that some words can hurt very badly, but that every word doesn't not kill us; especially the words of two-cent bloggers and politicians.

No comments: