Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What I Know

I want to start today's entry by saying, "Thank You" to all of you who have read and supported this blog over the last year. I know it can get tedious and probably dull to some, but many of you have had kind words and patience and I am thankful.

I have not been doing much of the blog over the last couple weeks. I am not burned out, I have just got out of my routine a little, as we all tend to do during the summer. Hopefully we will all pick up steam as we approach Fall.




Today's blog:
One of the most common pieces of advice in the world of writing, is to write what you know. I have ignored most advice, a my writing probably shows such, but today I will follow the adage of "what I know."

I know about politics and religion and I know that many of us are growing tired of each. There are fewer leaders, or at least fewer with any leadership, in our government or our churches. Thankfully we are apathetic enough that it doesn't matter.

I know that I love my wife in a way that I never knew was possible; and in a manner that I can't explain. This feeling must be what real love is; not the syrup and poetry junk that changes, dims, or burns out.

I know that I love my children so much that it hurts.

I know alot about football and hockey, but most of my readers aren't interested in such. And that's o.k. by me.

I know that there is no loyalty in sports, even in the rec leagues.

I know that people say that they like straight talk, but few actually do when the push comes down to the shove. I have found that straight talk is appreciated when it is aimed at others. What's good for the goose is hated by the ganders.

I know that to have a friend, you must be a friend. And sometimes friendship is giving and not taking. So few people know how to be friends, unless it's a misery-loving-company type thing.

I know that too often, hate and anger are the ties that bond.

I know what it is like to be misunderstood.

I know that it saddens me to see a tree die or damaged.

I know that dead dogs on the side of the road make me feel like crying.

I know that absence does not make the heart grow fonder, but causes the heart to forget.

I know what it is like to not be a welcome sight at church, work, or the grocery store.

I know people never say what they mean anymore. And that honesty is unappreciated.

I know that I trust God, but sure can't understand things He does, or allows, some times.

I know I do not handle the aging of my grandparents as I thought I would. And i know that I will regret it one day.

I know how good cold beer tastes on a hot day. And to share a cold beer with friends is priceless.

I know that I want justice when it come to everyone else, except myself. And I know that I am thankful for grace in my life, but wish there were less for some others. I need to work on this.

I know when we hurt, God hurts. Even if we don't feel like He is anywhere to be found.

I know that I struggle more than people think that I do.

I know how to blow smoke.

I know that 40 feels like 14 some days and 400 other days. And that it ain't nothing but a number.

I know that I didn't think I would be so immature or unsettled at 40.

I know that I miss some of my childhood friends. And that I miss all of the guys in my inner circle of friends.

I know that I miss sitting on the porch, smoking cigars and talking about Hemingway stories.

I know that I miss driving around with my friends on country roads, listening to the same 5 songs over and over. The beer was always better and the conversation was never dull.

I know that I miss driving all day and comparing corn fields; and the companionship that came with it. And floating the river. And I almost miss the sunburn.

I know that I miss playing SEGA all night and wondering if we were the best.

I know that this blog shows a different side of me and that some people will be surprised that I have feelings.

I know that I will probably never like poetry or flowery talk.

I know a good joke when I hear one.

I know that I get very frustrated with people and can be very jaded; but it is because I am an optimist.

I know that I am thankful God is in control even when I'm not so sure.

10 comments:

The Youngs said...

Ronnie You made me think of a few things I know about. I also miss the good friends from the younger years. BUT I am thankful for God's grace and giving me new friends and a wonderful husband, who I am a better person because of.

Have a wonderful week!
H

RMason said...

I understand where you are coming from, Heather. And i hope you have a great week also!

ALJ aka Amina said...

Loved this blog Ron..... It made me reflect back as well as peek inside your world a bit as I read each statement, Thanks for sharing !!! Love reading the blogs, even the ones I don't agree with, you are a very good writer !!

RMason said...

Thank you so much Amina! And I know we dont agree on everything, but we respect each other. I wish more people could behave like that. Maybe they just dont have any love in their heart...

Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

Great piece. I found myself looking back at the old days at LJS...all the great times Slim, Mike, Chad and I had back n day....and of course how lucky I was to have a great bunch of people like you all to share that chapter of my life with. You will always be considered a friend in my book. God bless.

Chris Clark

RMason said...

Thanks, Chris. And I always consider you a friend as well. We had a lot of good times, thats for sure. They really were the good old days, werent, they?

Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

Those 5 songs and those country roads were some of the most memorable conversations and some of the best times I ever had.

Loved the post.

Wes

RMason said...

What I wouldn't give for a time machine, Wes...and it sure was easier to solve all of the worlds problems over a case of beer.

Rememeber the "Night in the Ruts" cassette? Good times, for sure...

Beth said...

I LOVED this blog...I think it might let others see what i already know. You are a kind, caring, piece of work!!!!lol! Seriously, you are a wonderful person and most of your motives are selfless! I love you very, very much!!!

RMason said...

Thank you so much Beth...and I love you very, very much also! Youve always been there for me...