Friday, July 3, 2009

Independence Day

I hope that everyone has a great Independence Day!

It is hard for me to think much of the day as a holiday this year. I am frustrated at the direction of our country and frustrated with the attitude of many people. I still believe that this is the greatest place to live and that the people of America are what has made us great. But it's hard to remember sometime, at least for me. But that is usually my narrow vision and self-centeredness hiding behind a desire to make this country better. Not always, mind you, I am a very sincere, straight forward person. But I am human as well, very human...

So instead of thinking of the political and social scene and how it relates to our Independence Day, I have focused my thought on the past Fouth's of July; I think of getting up before the sun to go dig potatoes at my grandparents farm. I remember bar-b-ques with all of the family; metal wash tubs full of ice and soda, the smell of the grill and the gunpowder. I think of the fireworks display that was held at the Sikeston Mall, the greatest mall for memories. I remember playing with cousins and family reunions. Pool parties and buckets of margaritas with Jeff and Bob. So many great memories...

It is a little sad thuinking of how we have all went our separate ways, the farm is gone, and some have died. A few are in nursing homes and some are restrained to their homes. No display at the mall and few places of my youth remain intact.

But I chose to think of the good memories and hope that my kids have such great memories; they will be different, but can still be great memories...

Have a great Fourth, however you choose to celebrate it! And remember that our freedom and our independence came at a price. However we celebrate, we should never forget what and who has made us great!

No comments: