Monday, July 6, 2009

Just Passing Through

Another Monday, and more random thoughts:

It is hard believe there have so many "celebrity" deaths lately, with former NFL quarterback, Steve McNair being the latest. And surrounding the celebrity death, as well as the death of most any young person, there is controversy and the suspect of a tarnished character. I do not want anyone to die, but since they are dying, as we all will, I will go ahead and say that it would be nice if someone would die a hero, or at least without the stain of corruption, infidelity, crime, or general lack of character. But I guess that wouldn't be very newsworthy or exciting. And like, I said, I do not wish death on anyone. I do wish we all had more character and could be remembered as such. Like my Grandpa was and my other Grandpa will be remembered, two very great and honorable men...

And on the topic of death, Sarah Palin has either committed political suicide or is reinventing the way we will do politics; and this view depends on your bias on the subject. Personally, I am like Joe Biden in the sense that I am taking her at her word. Of course Joe probably didn't stop at that, but I will. I do find it interesting that so many people have so many ideas as to what her future holds. I even saw an article on The Daily Beast website, that had 11 theories as to what Palin's future holds and what her strategies are. Eleven? This must include brain surgeon and rocket scientist, as well as a welder on a high-rise building. Maybe the article was written tongue in cheek. I didn't read it, so I am not certain. But I am certain that I have heard at least eleven hundred thoughts, scandals, and rumors as to why she is resigning as Governor of Alaska. It seems odd that so many consider her dummy and a nit-wit, but are so consumes with her actions and words. So many people hang on her every word, then turn around and write about how little influence she has on anyone in any circle. She is a harmless twit, but people are so afraid of her. Seems odd to me, but what do I know? Other than I never thought she was a front runner for the Republican Presidential candidate, which all of the Democratic analyzers and strategist viewed her as....

Does anyone else wonder why our Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, has been so quiet and invisible while there is so much unrest and activity on the international issues? Does anyone remember that Hillary is the Secretary of State? Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel, Honduras, Iraq, Iran, North Korea,China, and now Russia are all having serious international issues and conflicts that affect us and our policies, yet we hear nothing from the secretary of state? I have seen more interviews and heard more questions answered by Henry Kissinger than Hillary Clinton. And that is no exaggeration! I have some thoughts on as to why we aren't hearing from Hillary, but they are pretty jaded and negative. And possibly wrong, so there's no need to get into that now. But I would like to know that someone is minding the store, so to speak; other than waiting three weeks for a teleprompted answer from our president...

On a side note, I wish Fox News would drop the, "Fair and balanced" bit. I watch Fox news and I appreciate their take on the issues as well as the issues that they cover. But Neil Cavuto, Shepard Smith, and Greta Van Susterin are the only balanced reporters on the channel. I do think that Fox news is balanced if you also watch Anderson Cooper and Lou Dobbs. To me, I need to understand where all parties are coming from and there is no one channel that does that. But opinions sell and are easier to understand than issues. It's just business, I guess. But give me the city papers any day, at least for what is important in our communities.

How about Citibank raising the rates of some cardholders, as well as some other questionable practices, just before the new rules and regulations for credit card business kicks in? Perfect timing? Lucky stab? Remember that we the people, or the government, own much of Citibank now. Thank you bailout money! Now we can get taken advantage of from one more angle. Now the "evil companies that make profit" have indside information. Now that the government can give advantages to it's companies that it owns, the playing field is tilted; which will result in more trouble for free market and the consumers. Now the government can make policy for the business that it owns and manipulate the industry to it's advantage. All in the name of serving the people and their interests. Man! I wish I never read "Atlas Shrugged"...and watch the GM situation for more of the same. It will happen. And keep an eye on the gas tax, not just for the religion of green, but to force the consumer to buy the more fuel efficient cars that it will make at Obama Motors, I mean General Motors. Not to mention the standards that the government will put on vehicles that will manipulate the industry to where we are "forced" to buy a OM, I mean GM vehicle.

And on that note of cheer, I will bid you adieu for the day. And if all of this frustrates you as much as it does me, do something about it. Write a blog. Discuss the issues with your friends and Representatives. Write your senator. Be active in your frustration or it's just griping. But most importantly, remember that God is in control and that as Christians, we are just passing through...

No comments: