Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Patriotism Today

Redistribution is not patriotic. Biased coverage in our media is not freedom of speech. To use uninformed words or second hand opinion, then hide behind the flag is vulgar in all literal senses. "Patriotism is the final refuge of a scoundrel", were Samuel Johnson's words; words that I say to myself more often these days.

Patriotism is a funny thing now. We can say or do anything we like and call it a right or a freedom. We can act with total disregard of others and call it entitlement. Every self-serving word and action is acceptable in today's political correct and litigation-maddened society. Just label ourselves a true patriot, call it a freedom, and send it up the flag pole.

But just becasue we can doesn't mean that we should.

Like burning the flag or calling our military people murderers. Granted, these acts occured in a different decade and aren't as popular acts now as they were then. But is that becasue the sentiment has changed? Is it becasue we have discovered respect and more civilized manners of expression? Has the culture war in America changed?

Or have we developed more subtle, nuanced ways of undermining real patriotism or morale? We have no need for the blatant or obvious. We can use undertones and insinuations. Ignorance and self-centeredness in equal parts produces an effective base for "patriotic opinion" and quietly erode any movement that the mainstream deems unappropriate; regardless of necessity.

Yesterday caused me to think alot about military issues; but mainly about military people. I realized how easy it is to get caught up in the political quagmire of war by watching the news and reading articles on the internet, while REAL people are on foreign soil fighting for my priveledge to do so. And I felt a little ashamed.

Not that I have spoke against anyone or that I don't pray for our troops. I didn't feel badly because I don't support our troops or that I have protested any movements. Nor do I feel self-righteous in my words or actions either. But I felt ashamed becasue my support has been diluted. My real focus has been on the wars and conflicts being managed here in the States by pencil pushers, journalists, and arm-chair politicians like myself. And all the while, my focus should be on our men and women serving in our military. Not that all of the others don't need prayer and support; just that my notions and intents toward out military people have become an all too often token of appreciation, not the real thing. And that is no one's fault except mine.

So I apologize to all who serve, in whatever capacity it may be. I apologize for forgetting that you are dads, husbands,mothers,wives,sons,daughters,neighbors,and friends. I truly am sorry that I have placed you in a generic mass of bodies and whispered a few words of prayer over you. There is nothing greater than serving a purpose greatethan yourself, regardless of whether it is your career or your duty.

I pledge to try to do better. I have no desire to find refuge in patriotism; I desire my patriotism to serve others than myself.

Thank you Veterans of America! Thank you for your service! Thank you for the lessons in patriotism.

And here is someone who puts the sentiment into wrods much better than I do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2IqTK_DGg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Song!