Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday's Unintended Soapbx

Is anyone else tired of hearing the word bailout? And will there be anyone else to bail out within a couple of years?

We already bail out those who won't work or perform any productive activity. And I'm not talking about those who CAN'T, I am referring to those who WON'T.

We bail out people with tax "refunds" for more than the amount of money that they pay in taxes.

We have many social programs that "bail out" people who mismanage money. We see welfare checks spent on candy, liquor, and lottery tickets. We give parents with poor parenting skills more money to have more children, and then see that money spent on the 'adults' instead of the poor, innocent children. DAEOC pays the utilities for people that drive vehicles that they can't afford; people who spend $750 per month on vehicle payments and then can't afford $100 electric bills. The government provides section 8 housing for those who are too lazy to work or care for a home. Unemployment is a scam. The sub prime lending to those under qualified didn't work. We are still paying taxes on programs that should have ended forty years ago or more.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not against aid or assistance. We all go through times of difficulty and there are certainly people who can't work or have disabilities or responsibilities that won't allow them to have much of a job. And in this great country, no one should have to go without having needs met.

But we aren't entitled. We have confused our rights with our wants. And we should meet needs, not continue to contribute to bad habits and unethical practices of our individuals.

And also understand that I am not a financial wizard, not have I made the best economic choices in my life. I have and probably will make mistakes that negatively affect my family and our household income. I am not trying to be the pot calling the kettle black.

But I am writing about mistakes and errors, not lifestyles, habits, or entitlements. We all make mistakes; life is a learning process. But we all don't feel like someone owes us something because we made mistakes. Believe it or not, many Americans still try to do for themselves and still try to overcome their mistakes with better decision making and diligence. And lots of prayer.

But many Americans don't try to make difficult decisions or difficult lifestyle changes. Many Americans feel that they are entitled or that something is owed them because they were dealt a bad hand. Many Americans just wont do anything except the minimal, just so they can get by. While this is their prerogative and their decision, they should reap what they sow, not stand by idly with a hand out waiting to benefit from someone else's good decision making.

And that is what so many social programs have done; contributed to people who feel entitled, standing around with a hand out, waiting to be bailed out of another poor, lazy, unconcerned decision. Too many social programs have contributed to the erosion of work ethics; ethics period actually. To often the social programs intended to help, turn into abused overspending. Too many programs have caused people to feel entitled; raising generations of lazy, uncaring people. We no longer reap what we sow. We are able to reap what some else sows. Our resilience has been lessened, our ethics eroded, and the "do-ability" that our country was built on has turned into "what someone else can do for me ability". There is little pride in the work place. Our labor pools are shoddy. There is little concern for our co workers or respect for the team concept in the workplace.

I am not trying to be negative, but when on this subject I see little to be optimistic about. I do know of some good workers with good ethics. I am fortunate to have a wife and a best friend who have been excellent examples of ethics, hard work, and resilience. And I have other friends who are hard workers and make ethical decisions. God has blessed me with good examples to surround myself with; with good people to surround myself with period.

These people aren't wanting a handout or to be bailed out. Actually what makes these people great is how little they complain. They of course vent their frustrations, but they have no desire to be enabled or entitled.

Phew! This wasn't the direction that I had planned to go today. I guess I got on my soapbox early this week. This bailout stuff gets my dander up.

I apologize for leaving this "unfinished" but I am out of time. I may try to focus this week's blogs on the concept of bailouts and entitlements; in the private sector and commercial sector. Plus I probably need to tie up some loose ends and explain today's post a little better.

Let me know what you think and if you have any thoughts on this issue. Whether you agree or disagree with me is not an issue, I like to hear other opinions. That is one thing that we ARE entitled to, even if we may be wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not be more in agreement with you on these matters. Thanks for writing this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading!

Lisa said...

I have to say, I have been disappointed in not seeing any "fresh" writings. Things will be back normal, so keep me informed!

Anonymous said...

The blog should be back to Mon, Wed, and Fri this week.

Thanks as always for reading and being supportive!