Monday, July 7, 2008

True Horror

"What kind of tragedy happened to these poor, young girls?"
That was my initial thought as I came across a television program that had three young girls with over-sized, dark sunglasses covering up most of their juvenile facial features.
"Were they stricken with blindess? A childhood malady of some sort? Did they witness a horrific crime and were now in the witness protection program? Did they try to watch the latest solar eclipse with their naked eyes?" These were just some of the questions that went through my mind. But soon my questions turned into true horror...
It was a fashion blunder. That is what the problem was with these young girls; a lousy problem with style.
And more horrific was the fact that it was being treated as a true life-altering, tragic ordeal. An issue that was greatly affecting these girls' esteem and self-worth. An ordeal that could alter their entire futures.
I mean to tell you, this was huge!
Then this tribulation became deeper. This was worse than I had initially guessed. The caption appeared on the bottom of the screen and informed me that these young girls had between twenty and fifty, depending on which girl, pairs of sunglasses. And none of them accented their face correctly! AARRRGGGHHH!!! The Horror!!!!!
They went on to lament the size of their face and their skin type and a hairstyle and other features of theirs that would not allow them to stylishly wear the fashionable sunglasses of the celebrities and classmates. The spoke about this sunglass issue with fervor and sadness, What were they to do? How could they ever decide on a hairstyle? How could they accent an oval face adequately? If only Wayfarers or Aviators or even those jinky little John Lennon glasses would come into style their problems would be solved. Curses on you Lindsey and Brittany! "How could you do this to us, your biggest fans?" Oh how these kids complained.
But never fear! Tyra was going to find the right sunglasses for these girls and restore hope, order, and purpose to these girls lives. Even if the fifty sets of sunglasses at home did not work Tyra would continue this quest for the perfect pair. She would slay the dragon of fashion for these teens, making them a good, unembarrasing choice for the junior-high dance once again.
And i believe that Tyra was sincere in her concern for her fellow human beings. For one, she was on television. That must count for something. Secondly she was a talk show host and we all know that a talk show host would never exploit the problems, insecurities, or fears of their guests just to help themselves or their ratings. It just does not work that way in the Twentyfirst century. We have evolved into much a much better race.
As Tyra eased everyones fears and began accumulating points for the Nobel prize my thoughts shifted to my own work with teenagers. Of course I could not beleive that no one did a show like this ten years ago when i started working with teens. Where was this episode when I needed it? I have been trying to teach some of the wisdom of Solomon and other Biblical lessons to give purpose to others. I had foolishly hoped for God to give inner peace and prayed for grace. I tried to develop self-worth from the inside out and show that commercials and movies are not reality and that it is alright to have flaws, no matter how minor. All of the truths of thousands of years and all of the sacrifices Jesus made; all of the difficult things to face and the meaning of True Love felt lessened now that I know ZZ Top was closer to the answer, "Get yourself some cheap sunglasses."
I could not bear to watch the remainder of the program and I do not know what will happen to these girls. If they overcome their disorders, I assume they have a future in playing poker because I've seen several poker players on television wear sunglasses as they play cards. We can only hope that they find the magic pair of sunglasses that will calm their spirits and restore order to their inner sanctum. We can pray for comfort and peace in the fashion aspect of their life and wish grace upon their style. Then maybe they can develop some real self-worth. Then maybe they can do as their parents obvioulsy have done and truly help build self worth in young egos and purpose to our future generation.
Oh the horror...

7 comments:

BSain said...

omgosh!!!! are we that bored as a nation? "let's find britney the perfect pair of shades" sunglasses are to keep the friekin sun out of your eyes!!!! or are they???

clark_twin said...

This is too real. It is a sad day when young people face such a tragedy! Great fiction....or is it?

Anonymous said...

Truly sad...

Anonymous said...

My opinion may not count for much, but these talk shows are CRAZY!!! They will look for anything to get a good rating. Maybe these girls do have issues, but I believe its more than the PERFECT pair of sunglasses. I think their issues are much deeper. Maybe they just need a little love, companion or it may just be PURE attention. I hope thats not the case. But I think they are looking for contemptment or a purpose in all the wrong places.

Anonymous said...

I only have one pair of my own sunglasses, but I have about 20 sunglasses that have been left at my house. Maybe one is yours.

Anonymous said...

I am different I know, but I don't own any sunglasses. I lost all of them in the fire.

Anonymous said...

What fire are you talking about? I hope no one was hurt...