Friday, February 20, 2009

Stuff for Friday

Is anyone else glad that it's Friday? Or is it just me?

I am not going to get on a soapbox about the spending bill, I mean stimulus package or the fact that a chimp could have written a better piece of legislation. I will hold my tongue, or fingers in this case, and not type about the hidden nuggets of goodness that are being discovered inside such a "monumental" bill, as some called it, such as the transparency acts. I will not "get into" the fact that there are laws in our books now that NO ONE, except some Washington intern, has read. I will not even get into the fact that I dislike Bill Clinton much more, personally, than Barak Obama, but that Obama is really the new face of evil as far as I am concerned. And I will not elaborate on that here and now. Just trust me, I know what is best and what is the truth; just as our new president has been campaigning that he knows as much. I would like to point out that the global and national economic indices are not responding favorably to the pork, excuse me, the stimulus package. And no campaigning or fear mongering will change that. At least not today. But more important events, like an Osmond Family reunion could trigger an upward spike in the markets.

And before I go any further, has anyone else been reading articles urging Paul Krugman to be a new economic czar of some kind? I guess no one can get enough of the Keynesian school of thought and it's failed effects on the economies of the world. It's like reinventing Marxism and professing it to work better this time because someone has learned what the mistakes in Marxism were the first five thousand times it has failed to work. But what do I know? I only have a semester and a half of college and I need someone with more hours and degrees to tell me how ignorant I am. At least I have our government to do my thinking for me now; and to look out for my best interests. Mark my words, if Paul Krugman gets any real power, we are in real trouble. And i will leave it at that.

Good thing I wasn't gonna get into the politics and economics of the stimulus package...

I have another confession to make to the readers today; I have just finished reading "Atlas Shrugged" and it could not have been at a worse time. It has not helped me feel any better about our countries direction as of late. It was a good read, when Rand wasn't beating me to death with her philosophy, which has too many holes in it to be considered realistic or possible. But I did enjoy the entire experience, philosophy and all. There are a lot of things one can at least glean from Rand's writings. And there are several scenarios that are not only possible, but seem to be happening now, albeit to a lesser degree for now. And I agree, almost, entirely with her economic philosophy. For a book that has over 1000 pages, it read like it barely contained 750 or 800 pages of disastrous economic and philosophical declines. It really was a good read. I don't know if I would recommend it or not. What do you think?

And how about Roland Burris? I read that his support among black people is beginning to waver. I'm not sure what that means or why that is important, but the support of this demographic group is wavering. I wonder how his support among white people is, and if anyone has done such a poll. And what would that mean or why would that be important? And what about his support among Chinese Americans? Western Samoans? Brazilians? Jews? I guess any peer evaluation or support is important in politics, but I find it all to be moot. People should be people. But we must remember that we need, or at least Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson need, racial divide to help fuel, even mildly, the social wars in this country. But again, what do I know? I've been banned from the Rainbow Coalition website before. I guess I didn't fit into the correct demographic category to be taken seriously. That or Jesse Jackson didn't like that I said that he had one hand in black, people's pocket and the other one on his Bible. Or was it one hand holding a knife to the backs of black people and the other on their checkbooks? I can't remember know. I do know that I told him that he was not, and never will be, another Martin Luther King Jr. And I hope that i don't come across as hateful. I just wish that the day were here when we do forget about color and race. Not ignore our races, but just forget our races. But as long as there are ultra conservatives and ultra liberals, we have less hope in forgetting race as being something other than that separates. Until we all get the chips off of our shoulders, all of us, it will be an issue. And it is now to the point where it is the fault of blacks, whites, browns, reds, and yellows. And whatever other color I left off of the list. It may not have started out that way, but it is where we are now and I just wish that it weren't so. I wish that it weren't such a touchy subject to some. I wish it were a non subject. Maybe our children will do better at bridging the gap the so-called racial divide. I sure hope they do.

Did anyone watch the Bristol Palin interview with Greta Van Susteren? Did anyone else wonder why Sarah Palin crashed the party? I like Palin, don't get me wrong. And maybe she was looking out for her daughter's best interest in her own mind. But she should not have crashed onto the scene with Bristol's baby. It was tacky to me. And to those who made a big deal about some of the things that was said about sexual abstinence and the like, they need to watch the interview and remember that it was an 18 year old kid that was being interviewed and that the 18 year old, or 19 year old now, I'm not certain, was not exactly charismatic or comfortable in front of the camera. I wouldn't read much into this interview other than Sara is a little smothering at times.

And speaking of children and newborns, how about the octuplet mother? And what about her receiving death threats? To me that is despicable. Why would someone send death threats? I know that the media coverage and the mother as well have stirred some controversy and has caused emotions to run a little high, but death threats? Is that the best way to deal with this mother and her selfish ignorance? Actually, what is the best way to deal with this mother? I don't think that you can legislate morality. And you certainly can't make people take a test before becoming a mother or there would be few mothers in our country. I hate to say it, but it was this lady's right to have fifteen kids. Now don't get me wrong, just because she had the right doesn't mean that she still should have had all of these children. I think it was very wrong, ethically and morally. But legally, it is a different matter. I think it was irresponsible, selfish, dangerous, ignorant, and many other adjectives that show negative connotation to her "desire" for children. I think it is a shame that her and these children will be living off of "the system" as many mothers do these days. But the problem therein is the system, not the decision to have children; even if it is a littler of kids. And more importantly, these innocent children are starting off in the hole, if you will. The will be raised, most likely, to be dependant on the government and the charity of others. And while both have a place in our society, the abuse of the two is in the realm of overkill. It forces people to be taken care of when things get to this point. Charity is only Charity when it is voluntary. But back to what is most important, the innocent children. If these children are not taken care of properly, then someone needs to step in a take care of them. But that opens a whole new can of worms. But I do feel that our children, innocents, should be protected. If they are not then their rights have been infringed upon. The right to eat, and be nurtured, and to have hope for the future should be guaranteed for our children. "Grown ups" often make decisions that negate some of their right, both legally and ethically, but an Innocent child has done nothing that should endanger their rights as citizens and more importantly, people. I know that this paragraph doesn't cover the issue adequately and that I may not have explained my view as clearly as I would have liked to. But I do think that death threats are extreme and that the bigger picture needs to be evaluated here. That and the mother slapped about twice an hour; but not legally. Rather by the hand of all things ethical.

And I will end on that ambiguous, if not vague, note of mild licentiousness. I have to go redress my 21 month old for the tenth time today, she just walked into the room naked as her birth day except a pair of her brother's rubber boots. So I am not taking time to proofread, so overlook any obvious errors; and consider my heathen children and their behaviour as I wrote today. I know, you all have been there too...I hope everyone has a good weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you by chance take a picture of the rubber boots down? That would have been a cute picture!!

Anonymous said...

I did not get a pic of the rubber boots. Sadly, people could make an issue out of a naked child these days. And I wouldn't want to risk such a picture of my children being on the internet...It was a sight though. Such sites are not uncommon in this house.My kids are blessed witha sense of humor and lack of fashion sense!