Monday, August 11, 2008

The $106 Million Question

$106 million. Thats the amount that the taxpayers will spend on security for the presidential candidates this year. And yes, I said the taxpayers. $106,000,000. My initial thought is ,"Wow! Thats alot of money".

And my second thought is, "Why don't the candidiates have to pay for their own security?". They have lots of fundraisers, solicitors, fanatics, and $1000 a plate luncheons. Why can't they pay for their own security? And why do the taxpayers have to foot the bill?

My third reaction when hearing of the $106 million security was not very flattering to admit to, but it was ," Why do I have to pay for the security of candidates that I'm not all that crazy about?" I told you it wasn't very flattering, and not very well thought out, but it was an honest thought. I guess in my income bracket the $106,000,000 causes some knee-jerk reactions. Anyway, I understand that if I send in money to a politician that I don't have any say as to how it is spent and that I should consider the ways and means that my donation will be used to further my champion's cause. That may be why I have never given anything to any of the candidates running this year, for they are not my champions. That and my previously mentioned income. But getting back to the contribution/taxpayer aspect, when its a donation it is voluntary and when money spent from a budget line in our government it is not voluntary. I didn't have a choice on the way that money, nor the amount, was or will be spent. And that is becoming an all too frequently occurring thing.

I will digress, at least for today, on my overall thoughts on government spending. I will try to stay focused on the topic at hand; The protection of the candidates at the expense of the taxpayers. And I will try not to sound calloused or jaded.

The following thought on the $106,000,000 security issue was that we really have no idea how our tax dollars are spent. We can look at obvious things, and there are many, but how many budget lines exist, like the security for presidential candidates, that we are totally in the dark about? And what is the total monetary amount of all of these lines added together. And how could that money be better spent?

That lead me to think not only about $106 million, but to think about our budget and where can I get a copy of it? And if anyone does know, please tell me. I hate to admit that there is something that I do not know, but I'm not certain if we, as taxpayers, can obtain a copy of our national budget. And I would like to look at it firsthand. I'm sure its more lengthy than most financial papers and budgets that I have seen before. And I'm sure it would take alot of studying and letter writing to decipher. But our money is being spent and I'm growing tired of not really knowing how and where. And it is our money.

Again I will maunder from a further diatribe on finances until I know more about a citizen's opportunity to see the budget he is helping fund. But if I find out that the average Joe citizen can't obtain a copy of the federal budget you can bet there will be many a brew-haha coming. And that should scare plenty of politicians!

So I end by asking for anyone who has any information on obtaining a copy of the national budget to please let me know. I also encourage everyone to try to obtain a copy and begin scrutinizing the afore mentioned budget. I encourage everyone to become more active in the processes of government and to start holding the elected officials accountable. There are many things we can do to begin to gain our voice back, and today I submit to you that it begins with a $106,000,000 question.

No comments: