Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wednesday's Random Rantings

I want to thank all of you for your continued support over the last six months. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of getting back into a Monday,Wednesday, and Friday blog. Things have been hectic crazy and there have also been some personal issues that have had to be dealt these last few weeks. Hopefully the road ahead is smooth sailing; at least for the blog.

There is now a Facebook Group, Readers of the Self-Inflicted Blog. Anyone can join and refer their friends to join as well. Hopefully it will turn into a forum where the days issues can be discussed and questions can be answered. I think that we can all learn from each other, and that we all have different ideas, thoughts, and philosophies that can help each other understand things from many different perspectives. I'm not very adept at Facebook applications, but maybe we can all get the group going together.

And now for the random thoughts for the day:

I started to give my two-cents on the Israeli-Hamas conflict, but it was turning out to be very long and involved. And my opinions on this subject are very harsh sounding...I'm just not ready for any hate mail this week...

So I turn my focus to current, U.S. news. And how about the Blogojevich Scandal? There really isn't alot of Earth shattering news there. It's just another crooked, Illinois politician performing illegal acts for self gain and ego. Sadly, this is not a new situation. But I am surprised at how this Burris guy is acting. I don't know if he was the highest bidder for Obama's senatorial seat or not, but he sure acts like he did something badly wrong by behaving like he didn't do anything badly wrong. He says he's concerned about the people of Illinois being properly represented; but remember that Samuel Johnson said that patriotism is the final refuge of a scoundrel. Even if it's state patriotism.

Does anyone else still watch the NHL? Is there any question that Ovechkin is the best player since Messier? Who was the best since Howe? And what should we call the "Great One" since he stinks so badly as a coach and GM? I have some ideas, but they aren't printable.

And how about the Bill Richardson ordeal? If the people on Wikipedia know that Governor Richardson has a trail of inquiries, scandals, and investigations as long as your arm, wouldn't the Obama vetters have access to such knowledge? Maybe the president elect is running out of candidates for cabinet positions, or at least qualified candidates. And you have to admit, it is getting as rare as hen's teeth that we see a decent, ethical politician. And remember what Walt Whitman said, that if one could make two blades of grass grow where only one grew before, they would do a better service to mankind than all of the politicians together. That is paraphrased. And he actually said lawyers, not politicians. I was using "creative journalism"...

On the NFL playoffs: Peyton Manning is still the best regular season quarterback that consistently chokes in the playoffs. How can anyone be so good during the season and so bad in the post season? And the media still gives him MVP after MVP. And Kurt Warner still has what it takes, at least for one more week. Is there any question that Darren Sproles is better than L.T? Will anyone beat the Titans or the Panthers, my personal picks?

And lastly, I'm ready to spend my stimulus check and not ready to get into my thoughts as to why. Or if I should be ready for the stimulus check. Just show me the money! Maybe I am more in tune to the "American Pop Culture Mentality" than I thought that I was. Maybe I am beginning to be a conformist in my old age.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for my money too!!!Good blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks,Gus!

Anonymous said...

I thought there wasn't going to be a stimulus check anymore??

--Matt

Anonymous said...

I hevn't followed the story very closely, but the latest that I had read was that Obama was for a stimulus check and that the only thing that would stop the check was Obama. And naturally, he is waiting ofr a poll or feedback or something of that nature to decide what he will do, even though he has already "verbally" committed to a stilulus check. Now theres change and leadership that you can believe in...